History of the tavern
The ground floor of the tavern is furnished with pieces from restaurants that were in business by the turn of the century 1900. The bar, chairs, and tables have been used in Bolagskrog no 7, at Roslagstorg, and in Dambergs klass 3 at David Bagares gata, both long gone. The loft which was before an attic used for storage is now furnished in countryside style.
Stora Gungan was established in 1725 as a leasehold property of Enskede Estate outside the town of Stockholm. It's name, in Swedish meaning "the big sway", derives from the fact that it was built on swampy ground which swayed under the feet when approaching the building. During the 18th century Stora Gungan served as a stage-in on the road between Stockholm and Dalarö further down the coast. At the stage-in you changed horses and consumed refreshing drinks.
The building that today houses the tavern was built in 1801 and was used as a manor house. In 1969 it was deconstructed and brought to Skansen where it was rebuilt in 1975, although in a slightly different shape than it's original construction as it is now lacking the mid story.
Telephone: +468-660 66 01 | Email booking requests: email@example.com | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Box 27807 | Organisation no: 556447-0945 | Account no: 5380-3714